School Programs > Special Programs
Class size: Minimum 20 students/Maximum 100 students
Description: Full day programs involving hands-on activities and nature hikes designed to give a comprehensive understanding of a particular science topic. Programs can even be developed to meet your specific curriculum needs.
Tour Times: 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Tuesday – Friday
Fee: $15 per student
Earth Science Program: Students will discover how the Earth’s landscape constantly changes due to the processes of weathering, erosion, and deposition during this hands-on three hour program. Experiments involving these processes as well as soil composition and percolation will enhance their earth science knowledge. They will observe these processes at work in our 155-acre nature sanctuary during a nature hike.
Weather Program: During this interactive three hour program, students will discover the relationships between the earth, water, air, and sun that cause our weather. After experimenting with the processes of evaporation, condensation, and precipitation, they will “travel” through the water cycle as a water molecule. Students will make and test their own weather instruments, then explore our trails to observe the effects of weather on the organisms and landscapes of the Arboretum.
Custom Program: Our professional staff of certified teachers will work with you to design a program to meet your curriculum needs. Our programs enhance and integrate your school’s curriculum by providing hands-on, environmental experiences. We can create three hour programs that are grade level appropriate, engaging, and fun! For more information, contact Laurie Hudson at email@example.com.
- CHAPERONES: You MUST bring one adult for every 10 students to ensure safety and to help supervise your students. The program is designed for your students; please ask parents to leave younger siblings at home. Chaperones over the 1:10 requirement are charged $6/person.
- DRESS: Students will be more comfortable if they dress for the out-of-doors. Students and adults should wear closed-toe shoes for safety. No sandals please.
- LUNCH:If you are doing a full day program, students may eat lunch on our building apron. (No picnic facilities available.) Please bring lunches separated by class in large bags or bins.
- BUS PARKING:Buses should drop children off first and then park in Satellite Parking ¼ mile east of our entrance. Click here for a map.
- RAINY DAYS: The Arboretum does not cancel in case of rain. We will provide ponchos to students. In the case of severe weather, we will offer an alternate indoor program.
- CANCELLATIONS: Program fees are non-refundable. Changes to enrollment after confirmation letter has been sent will result in a $25 processing fee.
- PAYMENT: Is due in full upon confirmation of your date. Accepted forms of payment are organizational check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. All checks must be made payable to: Houston Arboretum & Nature Center.
- REGISTRATION QUESTIONS? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PROGRAM QUESTIONS? Email: email@example.com
Registration for 2014-2015 school year opens in August.
TO SCHEDULE: Print/Download the Reservation Request Form (pdf) and mail to:
Houston Arboretum & Nature Center
Houston, TX 77024