WHY we needed a new master plan:
- Two major natural disasters, Hurricane Ike in 2008 and then a severe drought in the summer of 2011, significantly impacted the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center. The result was a 50% loss of our tree canopy and subsequent encroachment of invasive species.
- The hurricane and drought made apparent a pre-existing problem and it highlighted the poor over grown ecological condition of the Arboretum’s landscape. It created an opportunity to change the relationship of how we managed and viewed our grounds. It also created an opportunity to strengthen the educational mission by tying it to the site more directly.
- Meanwhile, our educational programming has outgrown our current facilities and we want to do more!
- 2014 American Society of Landscape Architects Professional Honor Award
- 2014 Boston Landscape Architects Excellence Award
- Other one goes here
Please check back with us frequently to find more information on our implementation schedule, campaign progress and our donors. Please use the links to the left to navigate to specific pieces of the plan.
For questions regarding the master plan, please contact Amy Barton, Marketing & Development Associate, at 713-366-0426 or by email at email@example.com.