Professional photographers must purchase a one-time photography permit for $125 or a yearly photography permit for $150 for photography sessions at the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center. Permits are available for purchase below.
Personal photography of wildlife, landscapes, and people remains free, however wardrobes, lighting equipment, props, and other professional equipment are not allowed for personal photography.
As visitors at the Arboretum, all parties involved in a photo shoot are required to abide by Visitor Policies.
As part of these policies, the following items are strictly prohibited:
- Biking and jogging
- Going off trail
- Picking, moving, or taking plants, animals, or natural objects
- Feeding wildlife
- Unleashed pets
- Litter – this includes the use of glitter and confetti
- Balloons – they are dangerous to wildlife
- Weapons of any kind
- Nudity – all visitors must remain properly clothed at all times
- Drone Photography
The following items are not covered under a regular photography permit and will need to be coordinated with our Rentals Manager. If your shoot includes any of these items, please email our Rentals Manager:
- Commercial Shoots (both photo and video)
- Large Props (furniture, ladders, large lighting kits, etc)
- Shoots with models and crew totaling over 10 individuals
- Shoots that will block trails or require exclusive access to a trail or space
Photographers must be able to show their permit if asked by an Arboretum Staff Member. Your receipt, Membership Card*, or rental contract will serve as your permit.
*Please note that as of May 30, 2023, photographers may no longer purchase a Magnolia Membership or above as a Photography Permit. Existing photography memberships will be honored until they expire.
Purchase a Permit
Questions? Please email us at [email protected] or call 713-681-8433.